Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reparations? You must be joking..!



Today I saw an African-American man wearing a sweatshirt with a complicated logo on it that talked about "Reparations".

"Reparations" is a term that refers to the fact that many Americans of African descent feel they are entitled to some type of payment for suffering their ancestors endured during slavery.

My first thought when I saw it? "You must be joking.."

The immediate problem with reparations is that it is a lunatic liberal idea that can never work.

The people who enforced slavery are all dead. The people who suffered and endured being slaves are also all dead. There is no point in bringing this subject matter up.

Of course, there are those who would say that America owes a big debt to each descendant of slavery.
I disagree. Who would pay these "reparations"? Taxpayers.

I, myself, am of European descent, primarily Italian and German.
My ancestors all came to America in the 1880s. After the Civil War and slavery had ended.
My family never saw a single penny of benefit from slavery.
So, why should I have to pay financial rewards to people who were never slaves?

The idea is ludicrous.

Besides... Barack Obama and the Democrats have already created a scam for African Americans to get money out of the government. It is called "Pigford", and all you have to do is claim you were a black farmer who faced discrimination from the USDA...and you can get $50,000 from the US Government.



If the government can't handle Pigford, what do you think would happen with reparations ?